“Data Privacy is Dead.” – Gartner Group, 2016
Maybe so, but most governments, businesses and consumers carry on as if it were alive and well. This is a challenge for those who must satisfy these multiple constituents with different, and conflicting, demands.
In today’s world, threats to data security are ever-changing, as is the legal landscape addressing those threats. As technology continues to become an increasingly integral part of daily business operations, effectively navigating cybersecurity and data privacy issues can be the difference between staying afloat and going under in a data breach event. To maintain a posture of preparedness, companies need a partner with the ability to assess existing deficiencies and provide practical advice on compliance matters to mitigate future data privacy and security issues.
Koley Jessen's compliance services are geared towards helping our clients understand and address these demands. Our services encompass both United States, state and international laws, regulations, and standards, including the following:
- EU Data Protection Framework (Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC)
- EU-U.S. Privacy Shield (and its predecessor, the US-EU Safe Harbor)
- Canada Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”)
- Canadian Anti-Spam Law ("CASL")
- General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR")
- The Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act ("CFAA")
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
- State data security and privacy laws
- Sunshine Acts
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA")
- Children Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA")
- CAN SPAM Act and state anti-spam laws
- Telephone Customer Protection Act ("TCPA")
- Federal and State Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Acts
We help our clients by providing research and guidance on specific compliance issues; in-house training; and practical incorporation of our shared knowledge into the documents our clients use and need every day. We make it our responsibility to learn the particular wants, needs and concerns of each client and to put that knowledge to work in preparing template agreements and privacy policies, and in drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements for specific transactions. These services are provided on a basis dictated by each client, running the gamut from ongoing work in a particular area, to “crunch-time” services at the end of a month, quarter or fiscal year, to special projects.
We have been recognized in Best Lawyers on the individual attorney and firm levels as the only “Tier 1” firm in Omaha for our work in Technology Law.
News & Publications
- PRSA Nebraska, 05.19.2020
- Iowa State Bar Association, 11.30.2018