As a trusted business advisor, Nate Burkman provides counsel to clients on their employment and HR-related matters to prevent small issues from becoming big headaches. However, when major problems do arise, he has the experience and acumen to successfully guide clients to a positive resolution.
Over the course of hundreds of client interactions, Nate has developed a keen awareness for how to balance a legal strategy with the pragmatic needs of running a business. When working with clients, his philosophy is simple: implement targeted business solutions now to avoid problems later. To achieve this, he works collaboratively with clients to identify the root of their employment issues and devise realistic action items to proactively address current issues and avert future trouble down the road.
Nate has experience working with clients in multiple industries, including transportation, technology, and manufacturing. Whether it is defending a charge of discrimination or drafting an executive compensation plan, he is ready to help clients work through the day-to-day legal issues that arise in the workplace. He also offers particular expertise related to the preparation, analysis, and defense of non-compete agreements, as well as preparation of affirmative action plans for federal contractors.
- Successfully defended numerous employers against charges of discrimination, including age, gender, race, and retaliation-based claims
- Devised legal defense in a wage and hour proceeding with state department of labor that resulted in a reversal of over $90,000 in fines and penalties assessed against the employer
- Guided federal contractors of all sizes through the affirmative action compliance process, including preparation of detailed plan documents and successful navigation of OFCCP audits
News & Publications
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018
J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, 2013 (with distinction)
- Nebraska Moot Court Board
- Order of the Barristers
B.A., University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 2010 (high distinction)
- History and International Studies
- Phi Beta Kappa
- State of Nebraska
U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska