With a focus on a client’s overall business objectives, Shaun McGaughey brings to bear more than 30 years’ of experience as a business counselor. He guides clients through choice of entity, entity formation, ownership structure and transition, governance, reorganizations, pricing and distribution matters, and business contracts and handles mergers and acquisitions.
Shaun’s corporate governance experience includes advising companies, senior management, boards of directors and committees on governance, organizational structure, fiduciary duties, and financial reporting. He ensures that effective governance documents and policies are in place and utilized in order to help the company as intended.
Shaun regularly helps clients determine product distribution strategies, including pricing, to assure compliance with the multitude of antitrust and other industry-specific laws and regulations that impact their business.
Through his M&A practice, Shaun advises his clients on all aspects of business transactions including transaction structure, tax planning, due diligence investigation, negotiation of deal terms, closing of the transaction and post-closing matters. He also assists clients in determining whether compliance with a Hart-Scott-Rodino Act is required, and assisting in necessary filings when required. He has provided legal representation on approximately 200 completed business transactions ranging in value, to over $300 million.
Shaun has been named among the Best Lawyers in America (© Woodward/White Inc.) for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Law. He was named the Best Lawyers© 2018 Mergers and Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year” in Omaha, is AV Preeminent® Rated in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and was selected as a 2019 Top Rated Lawyer by American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell. Shaun is also listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Chambers & Partners Publishing).
Mergers & Acquisitions
- BH Media Group in separate acquisitions of:
- College Station Eagle
- Waco Tribune-Herald
- Greensboro News & Record
- Tulsa World
- Roanoke Times
- Press of Atlantic City
- Dover Corporation in the sale of Heil Trailer International to American Industrial Partners for $220 million
- Dover Corporation in the sale of Crenlo, LLC and Paladin Brands to KPS Capital Partners, LP for $290 million
- Environmental Solutions Group, a subsidiary of Dover Corporation, in the sale of its Heil Truck Equipment Group division to Truck Bodies Equipment International, Inc.
- Vehicle Service Group, LLC, a subsidiary of Dover Corporation, in the acquisition of certain assets of Hanmecson International, Inc., a Chinese-based company, and Direct-Lift, L.P.
- Completed many Hart–Scott–Rodino filings and advised clients in multiple regulatory challenges to transactions
- Restated governance documents for many entities, including large multinational entities
- Advises Boards of Directors on fiduciary duties and oversight obligations
- Advises clients consistently on intricacies of distribution laws and regulations, including pricing compliance and policies
Commercial and Technology
- Negotiated key supply chain and distribution agreements for and against large multinational entities
News & Publications
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
Chambers USA, Corporate/Commercial Law, 2008-2019
Best Lawyers in America (© Woodward/White Inc.), Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Corporate Law, 2010-2020
Best Lawyers in America (© Woodward/White Inc.), Mergers & Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year" in Omaha, 2018
"AV" Rating, Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Top Rated Lawyer, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
Nebraska State Bar Foundation, Fellow
Community & Professional
Nebraska and Colorado Bar Associations
Children’s Scholarship Fund of Omaha - Board of Directors and Secretary (2016-Present)
Saint Francis Ministries in Nebraska, Inc. - Board of Directors (2019-Present)
Arthritis Foundation - National Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Treasurer (2001-2008)
Arthritis Foundation, Nebraska Chapter - Board of Directors and Executive Committee (1996-2008)
Nebraska Broadcasters Association, Board Member (1998-2000)