With a focus on a client’s overall business objectives, Shaun McGaughey brings to bear more than 30 years’ of experience as a business counselor. He guides clients with all entity matters, including formation, governance and ownership management, business contracts, antitrust matters, and handles mergers and acquisitions.
Shaun’s entity and governance experience includes advising companies, senior management, boards of directors and committees on governance, organizational structure, fiduciary duties, and financial reporting. He ensures that effective governance documents and policies are in place and utilized in order to help the company as intended.
Shaun regularly helps clients with business contract matters, including in determining product distribution strategies, including pricing, to assure compliance with the multitude of antitrust and other industry-specific laws and regulations that impact their business.
Through his M&A practice, Shaun advises his clients on all aspects of business transactions including transaction structure, tax planning, due diligence investigation, negotiation of deal terms, closing of the transaction and post-closing matters. He has provided legal representation on approximately 200 completed business transactions ranging in value, to over $300 million.
As part of his antitrust practice, Shaun also counsels clients on compliance with antitrust and competition laws, including the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, and assists clients with HSR filings needed in connection with M&A transactions.
Shaun has been named among the The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Law. He was named the Best Lawyers® 2018 Mergers and Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year” in Omaha, is AV Preeminent® Rated in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and was selected as a 2019 Top Rated Lawyer by American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell. Shaun has also been listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Chambers & Partners Publishing).
- Restated governance documents for many entities, including large multinational entities
- Advised Boards of Directors on fiduciary duties and oversight obligations
- Provided governance, compliance and maintenance advice to entities of all types, with a focus on corporate governance
- Assisted entities of all types in updating and modifying governance models as the requirements of the entities evolve
- Provides special counsel advice on sensitive governance and compliance issues for unique challenges
Mergers & Acquisitions
- BH Media Group in separate acquisitions of:
- College Station Eagle
- Waco Tribune-Herald
- Greensboro News & Record
- Tulsa World
- Roanoke Times
- Press of Atlantic City
- Dover Corporation in the sale of Heil Trailer International to American Industrial Partners for $220 million
- Dover Corporation in the sale of Crenlo, LLC and Paladin Brands to KPS Capital Partners, LP for $290 million
- Environmental Solutions Group, a subsidiary of Dover Corporation, in the sale of its Heil Truck Equipment Group division to Truck Bodies Equipment International, Inc.
- Vehicle Service Group, LLC, a subsidiary of Dover Corporation, in the acquisition of certain assets of Hanmecson International, Inc., a Chinese-based company, and Direct-Lift, L.P.
- Completed many Hart–Scott–Rodino filings and advised clients in multiple regulatory challenges to transactions
Commercial and Technology
- Negotiated key supply chain and distribution agreements for and against large multinational entities
- Completed over 50 HSR filings for sellers and buyers of businesses
- Assisted in multiple contested matters before antitrust agencies
News & Publications
- Omaha Magazine, 07.2021
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America©, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Corporate Law, 2010-2021
Chambers USA, Corporate/Commercial Law, 2008-2019
Omaha Magazine Top Lawyers of Omaha, Corporate Governance Law, 2021
Top Rated Lawyer, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
Best Lawyers™ Mergers & Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year" in Omaha, 2018
"AV" Rating, Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Nebraska State Bar Foundation, Fellow
Community & Professional
Nebraska and Colorado Bar Associations
Children’s Scholarship Fund of Omaha - Board of Directors (2016-Present); Chair (2020-Present)
Saint Francis Ministries in Nebraska, Inc. - Board of Directors (2019-Present)
Arthritis Foundation - National Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Treasurer (2001-2008)
Arthritis Foundation, Nebraska Chapter - Board of Directors and Executive Committee (1996-2008)
Nebraska Broadcasters Association, Board Member (1998-2000)