Richard (Rick) Vroman utilizes an extensive store of legal and practical experience to help clients navigate the highly regulated and ever-changing global healthcare environment. His work ranges from expertly representing healthcare professionals in their personal and business matters, to advising global healthcare industry leaders on business and regulatory compliance matters.
Rick’s expertise includes advising clients with ties to the healthcare industry on business and contractual matters such as entity selection and formation, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, compensation plans, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, as well as buy-sell and personal services agreements. Rick also has extensive experience advising clients on transactional and regulatory matters throughout the healthcare industry such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, real estate purchasing and leasing, equipment purchasing and leasing, asset protection, and data privacy and security matters (including HIPAA).
Rick has significant expertise advising healthcare clients with respect to their individual and entity licensing, medical staff, credentialing and peer review matters, as well as regulatory matters arising out of the client’s participation in, or ties to, the Medicare and Medicaid programs, which would include the Stark Law, Federal Anti-Kickback Statute, and False Claims Act. He effectively represents clients before licensing boards as well as state and federal agencies governing both employment related and healthcare matters.
As an employment lawyer, Rick is further specialized in the healthcare industry, as well as with executive and incentive compensation matters and unfair competition. He advises clients across the United States on the unique employment-related issues in the healthcare industry, including a broad array of employment-related contractual and tax matters, employment, confidentiality, noncompetition, and separation or severance agreements. He represents employers and executives in wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation cases. Rick’s experience in executive and incentive compensation includes years of design and implementation of traditional and customized executive and management incentive compensation programs using equity based incentives and/or traditional non-qualified deferred compensation components.
As Chair of the Firm’s Health Law Practice Group, and because healthcare as an industry is touched by all areas of law, Rick works closely with other attorneys and practice groups in the Firm to ensure the Firm’s clients with ties to the healthcare industry receive the full contingent of expertise the Firm has to offer in each discipline.
Rick is rated in Healthcare Law by Chambers and Partners, which noted, "Clients praise his 'very helpful guidance when making difficult decisions.'"
- Assisted numerous licensed professionals and entities in structuring health care arrangements and joint ventures in compliance with federal and state regulations
- Assisted numerous licensed professionals and entities in obtaining favorable resolutions to licensing investigations and mandatory reporting situations, including obtaining a reversal of a license revocation resulting from a change in ownership
- Assisted clients in obtaining favorable resolutions to provider issues related to participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs, including obtaining a reconsideration of the revocation of provider billing rights
- Assisted several clients (at both the entity level and individually) in navigating medical staff matters inclusive of the peer review process
- Assisted in obtaining settlement in excess of three-quarter million dollars in favor of the employer in a complex multistate litigation matter arising out of the violation of a noncompetition agreement by a former employee
- Assisted many healthcare clients preparing co-management arrangements, managed service organizations, accountable care organizations, and other ancillary business lines, all while navigating the complex state and federal regulatory environment
- Assisted a healthcare client through compliance with Corporate Integrity Agreement.
- Assisted a client through internal audit process and self-referral protocol
- Assisted a client in negotiating a state-wide collective bargaining agreement in the health care industry
- Assisted a client in the food and beverage industry through successor liability issues relating to labor negotiations
- Assisted numerous employers in obtaining no-reasonable cause determinations when defending against retaliation and discrimination based on gender, age, disability and other protected classes
- Represented numerous health care corporate and individual clients in analyzing and negotiating ownership, employment and compensation structures
News & Publications
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 10.11.2017
- Physicians Bulletin, 07.2015
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
"AV" Rating, Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Chambers USA, Healthcare Law, 2017-2019
Community & Professional
Nebraska, Iowa and Omaha Bar Associations
American Health Lawyers Association
Special Olympics Nebraska Board of Directors (2005-2014), Board Chairman (2007 and 2008)
J.D., Creighton University, 2002 (magna cum laude)
- Editor-in-Chief, Creighton Law Review, 2001-2002
- Editorial Staff, Creighton Law Review, 2000-2001
B.S., Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1999 (with distinction)
- Business Administration, Major in Finance
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa
State of Nebraska
State of Iowa
U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska