Workforce stability and maintenance are of utmost importance to organizations of all sizes and Ryan Sevcik’s professional focus is to provide sensible, business-savvy counsel to clients as they address workforce-related issues and considerations. His laser-focus on his clients’ strategic objectives allows him to provide practical employment advice that they can implement in order to further those objectives.
Ryan regularly guides clients through the challenging regulatory landscape and strategic considerations as they sponsor workers for nonimmigrant visas and immigrant visas (i.e., green cards). He has expertise in counseling employers through the response process related to a variety of U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) audits as well as Form I-9 inspections / audits conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Ryan frequently provides assistance with self-audits, and provides presentations and training seminars designed to foster development of proactive policies and procedures for employer compliance.
He also proactively counsels clients with respect to compliance with workforce-related laws and regulations. From working through employment policies and agreements to providing advice and counsel on personnel actions of all types, Ryan provides practical, usable advice to employers of all sizes in order achieve compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and other federal, state, and local laws.
Ryan also works with Koley Jessen’s transactions teams to prepare and negotiate agreements to ensure the retention of key individuals following complex business transactions. Buyers and sellers of businesses are ever-cognizant of the effect a transaction may have on key individuals in the workplace – from executives to entry-level workers. Ryan understands the delicate balance of developing creative policies to incentivize retention of critical members of the team while balancing the need for protection of the business if the relationship does not go as planned.
- Represented small and medium-sized businesses as well as large publicly-traded companies with respect to a variety of immigration matters such as securing employment-based nonimmigrant and immigrant visas (commonly referred to as “green cards”) for management, professional, specialized skill, and other temporary employees
- Represented international clients in establishing U.S. headquarters and facilitating immigration processes for key personnel
- Advised employers on compliance issues related to Form I-9 employment eligibility verification, E-Verify and Social Security “No-Match” letters
- Conducted employer self-audits to ensure Form I-9 compliance and assisted employers through the response process related to Form I-9 Notice of Inspection requests
- Drafted and reviewed employee handbooks, employment and independent contractor agreements, proprietary matters / non-compete agreements, severance agreements, and related arrangements
- Drafted and assisted with the implementation of OFCCP-compliant affirmation action plans for small, medium-sized, and large publicly-traded government contractors
- Successfully defended several Charges of Discrimination before state and federal agencies resulting in “No Reasonable Cause” determinations
News & Publications
- Nebraska Bar Association, 08.23.2019
- LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter: Challenges for Maintaining the Confidentiality of Employer Information05.30.2012
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015-2017
Community & Professional
- Nebraska and Omaha Bar Associations
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development International Transition, Team Member
- American Lung Association in Nebraska, Local Leadership Board Chair
- American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest, Regional Board Member
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Omaha, Board Member
- John the Baptist Catholic Church, Finance Committee
- Leadership Nebraska, Class XI
- Leadership Bellevue, 2012
J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, 2007 (highest distinction)
- Nebraska Law Review, Research Editor
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Missouri Western State University, 2004 (summa cum laude)
- State of Nebraska
U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska