Mikaela Witherspoon ensures clients understand how U.S. and international privacy laws apply to their commercial agreements and helps them navigate consumer requests and record-keeping requirements. Clients turn to her for advice on new uses and transfers of data to ensure that they are compliant with data privacy laws and industry best practices and for assistance in developing privacy policies and privacy compliance frameworks.
She counsels on various data privacy matters, including compliance with comprehensive privacy regulations such as the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA), the Colorado Privacy Act (CPA), the Connecticut Data Privacy Act (CTDPA), the Utah Consumer Privacy Act (UCPA), and the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA).
Mikaela understands the interplay of intellectual property, data privacy, and commercial contract law and also utilizes her experience to help clients execute technology transactions that protect their rights and intellectual property, while also limiting liability and ensuring compliance with regulations. She drafts and reviews a variety of contracts and agreements, including data transfer agreements, software license and SaaS agreements, and data license agreements.
Mikaela is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and has earned the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) credential through the organization.
News & Publications
- Executive Order on Artificial Intelligence Puts Focus on Privacy and Cybersecurity Considerations for AI Development11.09.2023
- California Enacts Law Requiring Data Brokers to Participate in “One-Stop Shop” For Consumers to Request Deletion of Their Data10.23.2023
- Nebraska CPA, March/April 2023
- Potential Update to Federal Communications Commission Data Breach Rule Would Expand Notification Requirements03.24.2023
- Protecting Against Data Breach Liability: How Service Providers Can Manage the Inherent Risk of Cyber IncidentsThe Nebraska Lawyer, September/October 2022
- March 2021
Honors & Affiliations
Community & Professional
International Association of Privacy Professionals
J.D., Creighton University School of Law, 2020 (cum laude)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in: Legal Research and Writing I, Civil Procedure II, and Commercial Contract Drafting
- Phi Delta Phi Honor Society, Member
- Moot Court Board, Problem Director
- Legal Writing Center Associate
BA, Azusa Pacific University, 2015 (magna cum laude)
- Political Science
Certified Information Privacy Professional - Europe (CIPP/E) from the International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2023
- State of Nebraska