With 35 years of experience guiding companies through significant business decisions, Mike Hupp serves as a trusted advisor to public and private middle-market companies, executives, family-businesses, private equity firms and family offices.
From formation, raising and deploying capital, strategy, risk mitigation, and operations, to the preparation for and execution of transactions, including tax, liability, securities, transition, management and due diligence issues, clients rely on Mike’s business counsel. Chambers & Partners noted clients described him as “a very strong, extraordinary lawyer" and "extremely strategic." Mike has closed hundreds of transactions and has acted as outside general counsel for a very substantial number of businesses.
Mike is the Chairman of Koley Jessen and Co-Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions/Securities Practice Group. He has been ranked by Chambers & Partners as Band 1, Best Lawyers®, and Super Lawyers for his work in corporate and mergers and acquisitions law.
- C&A Industries, Inc. in its sale to Medical Solutions, L.L.C.
- Red Giant Oil Company in its sale to HollyFrontier Corporation (NYSE: HFC)
- West Living, LLC in connection with its sale of 9 senior living communities
- Tecumseh Farms LLC in its sale of Tecumseh Poultry LLC (Smart Chicken) to Tyson Foods, Inc.
- Cabela’s Inc. in $5.5 billion sale to Bass Pro Shop
- Offwire, Inc. in sale to BrightStar US
- Tenex Capital Management in acquisition of Roscoe Medical, Inc.
- Tenex Capital Management in acquisition of US Greenfiber, LLC.
- Bag ‘N Save, Inc., in sale of business to Nash Finch Company
- Medical Solutions L.L.C. in private equity investment transactions with Tenex Capital Management and McCarthy Capital Fund V, L.P.
- Omaha World-Herald Company in stock sale to Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
- Cabela’s Inc. in acquisition of catalog division of Gander Mountain
- Beef Products, Inc. in $1.2 billion sale of National Beef to Leucadia
- Software Technologies, the maker of TABS3 PracticeMaster, in its recapitalization by Thompson Street Capital Partners
- H & H Distributing, Inc. in sale to Eagle Distributing of Grand Island, LLC (advised by OMAC Beverage Advisors)
- Fontanelle Hybrid Seed Co. in sale to Monsanto
- Complete Nutrition in sale to Dominus Capital
- Medical Solutions, a portfolio company of Tenex Capital Management, in sale to Beecken Petty O’Keefe & Company
- CoSentry in sale to TA Associates
- ACI Payment Systems in acquisition of ISD
- McCarthy Capital in acquisition of Life Care Companies LLC
- Election Systems & Software, Inc. in acquisition of Premier Election Solutions
- Carlson Holdings, Inc. in its recapitalization led by” Industrial Opportunity Partners, LLC
- Kiewit Corporation in acquisition of TIC Holdings
- ITOCHU Corporation of Japan in its investment in Shoreline
- CSG Systems in acquisition of Prairie Voice Services
- Carlson Holdings, Inc. in acquisition of Mid-Atlantic Fasteners
- Riser Bond Instruments in sale to United Dominion
- The Pinnacle Group in sale to UniGroup, Inc.
- American Information Systems in acquisition of BRC Holdings, Inc. and formation of Election Systems & Software
- Norco Mills of Norfolk, Inc. in sale to Harvest States Cooperatives
News & Publications
- Nebraska Society of CPAs 19th Annual Fall CPE Conference, November 4 - 5, 2019
- Mergers & Acquisitions Magazine, 10.04.2017
- Nebraska Supreme Court Validates Pre-transaction Planning to Qualify for Nebraska’s Special Capital Gains Exclusion10.27.2016
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America©, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law, and Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, 2001-2021
Chambers USA, Corporate/Commercial Law, 2008-2020
Great Plains Super Lawyers, Mergers & Acquisitions
"AV" Rating, Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Top Rated Lawyer, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
Community & Professional
Nebraska and American Bar Associations
American Bar Association, M&A Committee Member
Archdiocese of Omaha, Archbishop's Committee for Development, Investment/Finance Committee
Omaha Business Ethics Alliance, Trustee
Aksarben Foundation, Councillor; Finance and Investment Committee
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, Director; Audit Committee
Catholic Charities, Past Member, Board of Directors; Archbishop’s Distinguished Board Member, 2008
Child Saving Institute, Past Member, Board of Directors
Skutt Catholic High School, Past Board Chairman
Boys Town Booster Club, Past Member
Merrymakers, Past Board Member
J.D., University of Nebraska, 1984 (with distinction)
- Phi Delta Phi
B.S., University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 1980 (with distinction)
- Construction Management with an emphasis in Finance
- State of Nebraska